Wednesday, September 5

Make up purchases

Recently, I did a bit of shopping. I've used to purchase everything that wasn't drugstore, meaning blush would be NARS, Bronzer would be Bobbi Brown, Foundation is Smashbox, Eyeshadow is lancome. You know the drill. Lately, I've been thinking... I mean all these products are yes, big brand names but what about the drugstore products? There are tons of R&D behind all these products.

Here is something that you might find interesting:

Did you know that some of your favorite brands are actually a subsidiary product of a bigger brand?

  • L'oreal owns the following brands of beauty product:
    • L'oreal labels 
    • Kerastase hair products 
    • Lancome
    • YSL
    • Biotherm
    • Diesel
    • Viktor & Rolf
    • Ralph Lauren 
    • Kiehl's 
    • Shu Uemura
    • Stella McCartney
    • Clarisonic
    • Vichy
    • Maybelline
  • Coty Inc is a company that owns the follow beauty and fashion brands:
    • Rimmel
    • Sally Hansen
    • Kate Moss Perfume
    • Balenciaga
    • Bottega Veneta
    • Chloe
    • Calvin Klein
    • Kil Sander
    • Karl Lagerfeld
    • Marc Jacobs
    • OPI
    • Vera Wang
    • Vivienne Westwood
Okay well you get the point! The list goes on and on and on. A lot of these drugstore brands are actually a part of a bigger company which owns a lot of luxury brands out there in the market! So before you discriminate these drugstore brands, keep in mind that with such a powerful company with unlimited resources to create products, the product must be at par with luxury brands (of course minus the glamourous packaging!)

Smashbox Eye Primer and Photo Op Under eye brightner - $30 and $19

At Nordstrom, I got sucked into the smashbox counter. I specifically wanted to cover up my dark circles and she recommended me these two products. Honestly the photo finish hydrating under eye primer... isn't all that great. They say its a brightener but I find that its only 'bright' because it applies on as moist for that moment, I suppose its 'bright' but this could go for any other light cream that you apply under the eye. This product was not worth the $30 that I paid for. 

On the other hand, the Photo Op under eye brightner works quite well. They said this is to be paired with a concealer, so I paired it up with my concealer at home and it worked quite well. A $19 well spent!

Maybelline The Falsies Volum' Express in Black Drama - $7

I have to say, this mascara is great at what it does. I would say this is a good mix of Lancome's Dolly Lash and Hynose mascara in one! I've worn this for over 20 hours and the mascara is still intact, not running or anything. I wouldn't say this gives a lot of volume but its great if you want thicker defined lashes! 

Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder in the shade Transparent - $4.99 (Sale at Shoppers)


Part of the reason why I tried this is because of YouTube. A lot of beauty gurus on YouTube have been raving about this product how it lasts forever, it really does what its label says - Matte finish, and mostly because its $4.99 so I decided to give it a try! It really does work well giving a finished look. Unlike my MAC Studio Fix Pressed Powder this is much more lighter and great for everyday use. It doesn't provide much coverage but its great just to keep the oil off. 

L'oreal Color Riche Balm in shade 819 Caramel Comfort - $7.99

I really saw this on Pinterest when someone tried it on and it looks great! It's actually a tinted lip balm so it doesn't try up your lips. The shade is really as described a sheer caramel / rosy color is how I would describe it. Of course being only $7.99 you can go wrong! 

If you have any favorite products you can let me know below :) 

3 comments:

  1. This is a great and informative post! It's true sometimes we think certain products are in competition with each other when in fact, they belong to the same company!

    I want to try that Rimmel powder too!

     
    oxo,
     
    ML
    TWENTY YORK STREET
    Follow @20YS on Twitter : @20YS
    Follow @20YS on Facebook: TWENTY YORK STREET
    Recent post: http://www.twentyyork.com/2012/09/i-blog-you-vlog.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ML,

      Thanks for your comment! I think so too :) I used to kind of discriminate against these drugstore items but now I find that they're much more affordable and if they don't turn out right, its okay because it was only $5-8 versus $20 to sometimes $50 for the more expensive brands!

      The powder is great! I'm wearing it now :) It doesn't look cakey at all. Not so much for coverage but great for setting your foundation and it lasts all day , no shine too!

      Grace

      Delete
  2. I have the last product too and really enjoy it but wish it was a bit more moisturizing =P I'm currently using the Sugar chapstick from fresh and really love it, as well as tartes tinted moisturizer and physicians formula powder =)

    Thank you so much for the recommendation of captial hill in seattle! It sounds so nice the bf and I are definitely going to check it out next time!

    ReplyDelete

I love footprints, please leave a little one in the comment box below!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...